Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Summertime...

Hi everybody....I'm sorry for not posting a few days, but for the moment all my kids are at home and I don't have enough time for everything...and when I haven't enough time for sewing so I have nothing to post :-)
A few weeks ago when we renovated our PC-room I also reviewed all my cook-books and found a lot of hand written recipes. One of this recipes I got more than 10 years ago from a quilt-friend during a trip in New England, USA. In Boston I ate for the first time a Clam Showder, hmmmm, superb. Back to Luxembourg she sent me via email the recipe. I made it several times but than forgot it. But today I will try it again, it's really delicious. Here is the recipe:

New England clam showder:
Prep: 20 minutes, cook: 32 to 38 minutes,Serves: 6

3 dozen littleneck or cherrystone clams scrubbed
1 cup clam juice
1/4 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/4 " dice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 large all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups milk
1/2 cup light cream
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter

1. Place clams and clam juice in a large soup pot. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover and cook just until clams begin to open, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove clams as they just open to a large bowl. Discard any clams that do not open. Strain broth through a sieve lined with cheesecloth and reserve.
2. Let clams cool. Pry open shells and remove clams to a small bowl; discard shells. Finely chop clams and return to bowl.
3. In soup pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a small bowl. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add popatoes, reserved clam broth, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until popatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove 1 cup potatoes to a small bowl and mash until smooth. Stir back into pot.
4. Stir in pepper and milk. In a small bowl, whisk light cream and flour. Stir into pot. Bring to a boil, stirring, until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add clams and butter, cook to heat through, about 2 minutes. Serve garnished with bacon.

Hmmm. I love this clam-showder...... one of the best things I brought back from an Indian SUmmer trip in october in New England .

No comments: